Wednesday 3 September 2008

Sweat in the City

Catching my breath after running for the train home last night, I started to read one of the free London papers and came across an article about a new campaign to get young women like myself fitter, happier and healthier.

Sweat in the City is a new campaign launched by the Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation (WSFF) and Fitness Industry Association (FIA) which offers 3,000 young women in London free 12-week gym membership. The scheme is an excellent start to fulfilling the promises of the London 2012 Olympic Legacy which aims to increase nationwide participation in sport.

I’ve been meaning to sign up at my local gym however was deterred by the £43/month fees, so I couldn’t wait to get on line and sign myself up for some freeness. After visiting the Sweat in the City website I became even more excited as I discovered there were no strings attached to this scheme.

As long as you are aged 16 – 24, live in one of the 33 London boroughs, do little or no exercise and not currently a member of a gym – you are eligible for 12-weeks free gym membership worth £180, fortnightly group sessions and exercise tips and advice. All you have to give in return is weekly online feedback on the scheme and commitment to attending the gym at least 3 times a week.

So I have jumped on boarded, registered and selected my three choices for preferred gym club. All I have to do is wait for an email to confirm there are still places available and all being well I will commence my fitter, happier and healthier life on 29 September 2008 – I’ll keep you all updated on my progress.

By Danielle Thomas

No comments: